Continuing school in the time of COVID-19 poses challenges to everyone in the education system. About 1.3 billion students are affected around the Philippines, with 24 million enrolled in 177 closed schools. In light of this, the Department of Education (DepEd) and Commission on Higher Education (CHED) released a mandate for schools to come up with remote or flexible learning options.
While some students and parents want to keep up with school activities, they also need assurance that they can do this safely and effectively.
Therefore, school owners and administrators need to quickly adopt the right Learning Management System (LMS). With this, they can be sure that when you open, their children’s safety is maintained.
What is LMS?
Learning Management System (LMS) is a software that helps users create, administer, manage, and analyze eLearning courses and trainings. It can be categorized into three types, with the pros and cons explained below:
- Standalone vs. Blended. Standalone learning applies to software and app features that can be used on its own, while blended LMS still involves face-to-face learning.
- Synchronous vs. Asynchronous. Video calling and instant messaging platforms fall under the synchronous mode, which might not be possible for students who don’t have a constant internet connection. Asynchronous platforms, like forums on the other hand, don’t necessarily require real-time interaction and let students do the activities at their own pace while still meeting a set deadline.
- Desktop-based vs. Multi-media. Desktop-based features cannot be accessed by students who don’t have a desktop nor laptop. Multi-media features, however, can be accessed on other devices such as smartphones or tablets.
With the different scenarios given above, standard or traditional learning models are not flexible enough to adapt to the school’s and students’ changing needs. This is where Globe myBusiness’ LMS becomes the most suitable choice for the whole school system. See how it benefits both the school and learners below:
Teachers and school administrators
- Economical. Because of social distancing, your school will be forced to cut down class sizes for the students’ safety. Spacing will be key in keeping kids safe. But with LMS, you can accommodate a bigger class size without the constraints of physical classrooms.
- Real-time updates. Teachers can show results, assignment scores, attendance, and feedback as they come. They can also track how much time students spend on different activities.
- Gather feedback. Your teachers can improve modules easily with the option to receive feedback more systematically. Globe myBusiness’ Brightspace, for example, lets teachers add surveys at the end of their modules. This allows students to let teachers know what they think.
- Easy to use. LMS creators understand that not all teachers are tech-savvy, so they designed interfaces with ease of use in mind. The provided tools and guides help teachers create more engaging and creative activities in a few steps. Brightspace has a drag and drop interface, interactive guides, and options to add images and videos to your courses. You can even add quizzes at the end of each lesson to measure progress.
- Greater lesson retention. Studies have shown that students who are digital natives respond more and perform better to personalized lessons and materials. In a 2016-2017 study by Education Elements, students who work at their own pace improve their Math and English skills better than in usual classroom set-ups.
Students and parents
- Exciting materials. Aside from the assurance of safety and security, LMS allows more room for exciting features like gamification or interactive videos and activities. Breaking the monotony lets students look forward to learning more.
- Safe access to updated information. Updating information on digital resources requires less time and effort than revamping physical books. Students and parents are at one click away from the latest information. Edmodo is another Globe myBusiness LMS that lets teachers and students access textbooks and personalized learning content online. Digital materials also allow for less physical contact with objects, increasing the chances of keeping kids safe.
- At your own pace. Students have higher chances of mastery with the option to study at their own pace. When lectures and modules are available online, they can easily focus on reviewing these materials instead of catching up with note-taking.
- Personalized learning. Since teachers can now keep better track of their students’ performance, they are also empowered to help specific students with the topics they have difficulty with.
- Greater lesson retention. Studies have shown that digital native students respond more and perform better with personalized lessons and materials. This RAND study mentions that “a large proportion of students with lower starting achievement experienced greater growth rates than peers, particularly in mathematics,” with growth continuing to accumulate in schools upon three years of implementation.
Does this sound like something your school needs? Schedule a consultation with our account managers to get started! We’ll walk you through the whole process.
HELPFUL PRODUCT INFORMATION:
Get a FREE Edmodo Enterprise license for 1 year when you get the UNLI Internet Plan 1899. Find out more here.
50% off on License and Implementation Fees for Brightspace. Click here for more information.
Learn more about how Globe myBusiness can help your school. Download our product guide here.
UPDATE YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION:
Exclusive offers, event invites, and freebies await when you update your contact details! Get these and receive real-time notifications on your account when you update now: glbe.co/Get-Updates-GmBA